The central town of Bedford County Virginia was once named Liberty. Many of the buildings described and illustrated in this Sketchbook of Liberty of 1887, have been preserved and may be seen today. the natural Beauty and character of the area continues to attract visitors who return again and again. In 1782, on donated land and with a new log courthouse, the new town Liberty superseded New London as Bedford County's the seat of government. liberty flourished for more than a century and changed itself to Bedford City in 1890. It reverted to town status in 1912. In 1968, it became the City of Bedford. In 1993 the place was recognized as "one of the best small towns in America".